Image by Getty Images via @daylife
You want the best for your child, but it isn’t always easy or convenient to travel to the hospital for the emergencies you face. Besides, clinics usually have longer hours, and the waiting time at a hospital is often twice as long and doubly expensive. You also like the fact that when a doctor’s office is closed, a clinic is available to help.
How do you choose a mental health clinic that’s right for you when you’ve just moved to a new city?
- Talk to your new neighbors. Find out where the best clinics are. Your new neighbor might not have an issue with mental health himself, but he may know of someone who does and refer you to them.
- Check with your insurance company. Make sure the clinic accepts your plan.
- Take a tour of various clinics you are interested in. Make a surprise visit. Ask questions.
- Start early. Find a clinic before you need it. There’s nothing worse than having to fumble in the phone directory at the last minute for a place you “hope” will be able to help you.
- Check your mail box; often, clinics will send discounts to new neighbors to get their business.
- Try an online directory. Google “mental health clinics” and your “city” and do some research about the clinics in your area.
Know that finding the best clinic for your child’s needs soon after you arrive in your new home will take the stress off your mind later. Follow the above tips to ensure the best possible clinic for you and your child.